Marion, N.C. (June 27, 2016) – McDowell Hospital Volunteer Services is pleased to announce this year’s recipients of their annual Healthcare Scholarships. These scholarships are awarded to students pursuing a course of study in the healthcare field and/or employees who are returning to school to further their education in the healthcare field. “This year, we received some outstanding applications which made the process of selecting recipients even harder,” said Philip Long, Manager of Volunteer Services, Pastoral Care, and Shuttle Services for McDowell Hospital.
The Selection Committee chose ten recipients and awarded $10,000 in scholarships this year. “Through special event sales at the hospital and other fundraisers, our volunteers raise every dollar that is awarded,” Long noted.
This year’s recipients are:
- Helen Goudreau – Helen is a recent McDowell High School graduate and will be majoring in pre-pharmacy in college.
- Luke Loftin – Luke is a recent high school graduate and will be majoring in Biology/Pre-med.
- Lanna McKinney – Lanna is a college student majoring in Nursing.
- Sherri Miller – Sherri is Mission Health’s East Regional Manager for Cardiopulmonary at McDowell Hospital and will continue her education in Respiratory Therapy.
- Kelly Parker – Kelly is a recent McDowell High School graduate and will be majoring in Nursing.
- Kassie Styles – Kassie is a recent McDowell High School graduate and will be majoring in Community Health.
- Alaina Tuttle – Alaina works in the Med/Surg Department at McDowell Hospital and is majoring in Nursing.
- Lori Webb – Lori is the Operating Room Manager at McDowell Hospital and will be working on her MSN degree.
- Betsy White – Betsy is an ICU nurse at McDowell Hospital and is continuing to work on her RN to BSN degree.
- Michele Woods – Michele is the Manager of the McDowell Birthing Center/Infusion/Cancer Care and the EM Coordinator for McDowell Hospital and is continuing to work on her MSN degree.
About McDowell Hospital
McDowell Hospital, a member of Mission Health, is a not-for-profit community hospital serving McDowell County. Located in Marion, N.C., McDowell Hospital is licensed for 65 beds and has more than 400 employees, including 120 RNs. Medical specialties offered include family medicine, internal medicine, pediatrics, orthopedics, urology, and obstetrics and gynecology. Currently, five of McDowell Hospital’s primary care practices have been recognized by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services as Rural Health Clinics. For more information, please visit mcdowellhospital.org.
About Mission Health
Mission Health, based in Asheville, North Carolina, is the state’s sixth-largest health system and was recognized as one of the nation’s Top 15 Health Systems from 2012-2015 by Truven Health Analytics, formerly Thomson Reuters, becoming the only health system in North Carolina to achieve this recognition. Mission Health operates six hospitals, numerous outpatient and surgery centers, post-acute care provider CarePartners, long-term acute care provider Asheville Specialty Hospital, and the region’s only dedicated Level II trauma center. With approximately 10,700 employees and 2,000 volunteers, Mission Health is dedicated to improving the health and wellness of the people of western North Carolina. For more information, please visit mission-health.org or @MissionHealthNC.